[rescue] what can you do with an Apple Quadro 840AV

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Mon Mar 26 14:36:04 CDT 2018

>>> Really itb s one of [...]
>> I don't know if you know, but your email client is sending
>> (lower-case b, space) instead of (apostrophe).  It makes reading
>> your reply difficult!
> I'm seeing lower-case-b, Ctrl+Y in his reply :-)

Me too, once I found it.  (My mailer rejected it because it was marked
as being ASCII but contained control-Ys, which are not printable ASCII,
so it didn't arrive in my mailbox.  But mail rejected for that reason
has a copy logged, which I found.)

I suspect the sender's UA actually generated the UTF-8 encoding of
Unicode codepoint 0x2019, RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK, whose UTF-8
encoding is 0xe2 0x80 0x99.  The list then thew away the high bits,
leaving 0x62 0x00 0x19, and something dropped the resulting NUL,
leaving 0x62 (ASCII b) 0x19 (ASCII EM, control-Y).  The list then
(mis)labeled the result as us-ascii - but, apparently, preserved the
original Mime-Version: and X-Mailer: headers; the former has a comment
"(Mac OS X Mail 11.3 \(3445.6.18\))" and the latter says "Apple Mail
(2.3445.6.18)".

That makes this the fallout from a collision between Apple Mail's
(incorrect) assumption that UTF-8-encoded Unicode is suitable for
everyone and the list's stripping high bits and mislabeling the result
as US-ASCII - and then (incorrectly) emitting the resulting malformed
mail.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org