[rescue] Sun 486i (was: SunPC drivers for solaris and sunos)

David Brownlee abs at absd.org
Tue Mar 20 15:09:50 CDT 2018

On 20 March 2018 at 17:50, Peter Stokes <peter at ashlyn.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I had the misfortune to use a Sun 386i at Agfa one of our customers and can
> only remember it was the worst PC I had ever used, read slowest. It took
> forever to do anything from memory.

IIRC there were two memory board options - the 150 had max 8MB without
cache and the 250 a max 16MB with cache, which made a noticeable
difference, even if both had 8MB.
(I once had to benchmark whether it was worth upgrading the memory in
around 50 sun386i boxes at City University :)

Random recollection: The SunOS 4.0.2 they ran was an offshoot which had
partially pageable kernel text which I remember being impressed by at the
time, and those funky octopus video/keyboard/mouse cables. Of course some
of the machines they were replacing were Whitechapel MG-1 workstations,
which made them awesome in comparison...

David