[rescue] Getting image on drive

uix at centrum.cz uix at centrum.cz
Sat Mar 17 04:45:36 CDT 2018

On 03/16/2018 07:05 PM, Earl Baugh wrote:
> I've got some SCSI2SD and other similar SCSI replacements.   Without
> working from a Sun 4 box, I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to
> write an image for say Sun OS 3.5 (or 3.4.1)
> onto an SD card that could be used to boot my Sun 3/110.
I've done something similar in the past, it was a 3/50 and a real SCSI
disk in my case.
Since my QIC drive is dead and it's hard to create and write SunOS 3.5's
UFS with modern systems, I decided for a netboot from my Solaris 11
server using a SunOS 3.5 tape image from sun3archive:

the ndboot.sun3.private from the distribution tape to /tftpboot
directory on the server and created a symlink based on my 3/50's MAC.

2) I setup nd daemon (https://github.com/senjan/ndd) on my server. disk
0 (nd0) was the miniroot from the distribution, disk 1 (nd1) was a giant
tar created from the rest of files from the distribution.

3) from 3/50's PROM I did "b le()" to boot the 2nd stage bootloader from
its LANCE ethernet controller. Once this was done, I boot the unix from
the miniroot with "le(0,0,0)vmunix".

4) Once in SunOS, I simply started the suninstall script to slice the
disk, then killed it, manually created file systems on the disk with
mkfs, filled /etc/fstab on the disk and untar distribution files from
/dev/nd1.

5) before reboot, I renamed /etc/ypbind to something else to prevent
SunOS hang on boot trying to bind a NIS server.

Unfortunately my old SCSI-1 disk failed soon so these days I'm running
my 3/50 diskless. It's actually pretty convenient because its disks are
just files on my server's ZFS so I can snapshot them and eventually
rollback if needed quite easily.

Thanks,
Jan