[rescue] OT wireless bridge

John Hudak jjhudak at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 19:52:11 CST 2018

I've been using a number of WRT54G V2/V5 (or similar) wireless routers
exclusively with DD-WRT for many years- Both as replacement to my ISP
furnished router and as a AP.  Excellent firmware - much better than any
companies product.
The Linksys WRT54's are very well supported with DD-WRT
Been through Dlink, Netgear, Linksys, and Asus 'stock' firmware - all
second or 3rd class compared to DD-WRT.
I currently have 2 WRT54G V2 (the ones that support the maximum RAM/ROM
possible)  as hard wired range extenders to my verizon supplied accutec
router.  Works flawlessly.
IIRC, Linksys didn't have QoS on their stock firmware for quite a
while..DD-WRT did, along with the capability to boost the RF signal by at
least 30%..I measured it with my field strength meter.
Been running it at 90% power for 3+ years and not one hickup.
I gave my son a WRT54G V2 for his use in his college apt to use with his
smart TV and his friends xbox.  No problems over 2+ years of use.
FWIW, any router I get in the future will be based on it having a DD-WRT
upgrade.  I've had enough bad experiences from 'real companies' products
(router lockups, drop outs, poor signal, badly behaved QoS, lousy BW) that
DD-WRT has solved very well.  Understanding the versioning and flashing it
can be a bit tricky, but I've found the forums to be very helpful.  Haven't
bricked the 5 routers I've upgraded.
As they say, YMMV, but I've been very happy with it.