[rescue] Budget $1K, what recommended SPARC stuff?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 10:06:54 CST 2018

The T5220 I have uses the same ram as dell power edge 1950/2950 servers, which
is quite affordable on eBay.

It's older tech, but a 64 Gig T5220 would be well under $500, so getting two
(or more) might be in order. The T5240 with two 8 Core, 64 thread processors
would be another option, as they are $135 (about $40 S/H) on eBay with 4x
146GB HDs:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Sun-Microsystems-SPARC-T5240-2x-UltraSPARC-8-Core-1-2G
Hz-16GB-RAM-4x-146GB-8B-/182884046157

Other configs are also available.

Note - these are loud, but if it's in a server room or colo facility that's no
problem.

Lionel

> On Jan 5, 2018, at 9:18 AM, Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net> wrote:
>
> I run a lot of VMs  (under Solaris, zones) and was thinking of getting a
SPARC machine for the datacenter that I colo in.