[rescue] Just rescued these thanks to gov deals. 2 SGI origin Systems

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Wed Feb 14 13:36:01 CST 2018

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 01:27:42PM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> I've helped move IBM SP2 systems (2100lb with the wider than usual
> rack and systems) in a minivan a few times.

Power*2* CPUs ???

Wow.

I wonder if my 2005-vintage 2 x 4 core Power5 machine is nearly as much of
a workhorse ... and it's only 4U :-)  8 cores @ 2GHz vs 160 cores @ 120MHz?

Well, I am completely certain which one draws less amps.

I decided not to buy one of the upcoming Power9 systems from Talos -- it's
just simply not in my budget right now.  But I would expect it to run rings
around either one.

tl;dr: I salute anyone that has preserved one of these, but it's madness,
you know.

mcl