[rescue] eSATA on SPARC - or SCSI->eSATA converters

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Wed Feb 14 08:20:31 CST 2018

On 14 Feb 2018, at 14:08, Michael-John Turner <mj at mjturner.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 10:48:54AM +0000, Peter Stokes wrote:
>> The U45 and U25 are expensive because a certain (government?) organisation
in US hoovered a large quantity up of the second user ones over the last 3
years.
>> The knock on is that the 2500 and 1500 have also kept a decent price.
Couple
>> that with the U45/25 being the last of the desk side units and a recipe
for
>> long lasting demand.
>
> Interesting. I've noticed that Blade 1500s/2500 are also pretty pricey
(certainly pricier than I'd expect for hardware of that age).

The 2500 and 1500 have kept prices because they are the next in line to the
45/25 and are the end of the line...

There is also a regular second user market for them as I guess they were used
as front ends for various kit and I think they were a supported CAD station
for some graphics packages.

>> The other option is the V250 but here it is the PSUs which are in demand as
well as the motherboard being the same as the red 2500.

>> So no real cheap options, but the 150 red is probably the best option.
>
> Those are all fairly old, unfortunately. I see that M3000s (and M4000s, but
that's more than I need) are pretty cheap, but I'm guessing those are going to
sound horrendous :(
Yes, but the U45 only has a 1.6Ghz UltraSparc which is pretty old now and none
of the deskside kit is Sol 11 supported.

Peter