[rescue] Cray listing on E-bay

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Fri Dec 7 16:54:32 CST 2018

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018, Dave Fischer wrote:

> ethan at 757tech.net writes:
>
>> No, it's true. My J932SE IOS (the VME rack of Sun Sparcstation 2s)
>> requires the SCSI drives to have Cray SCSI IDs in them. Mine had all the
>> drives removed because it was government in a classified environment.
>> Everyone else I find with a system got it with the drives in-tact. I tried
>> a few different SCSI disks and it said no disks, then with the real Cray
>> disks it moved onto the next step.
>>
>> With modern boards like the SCSI2SD it would be possible to re-write the
>> SCSI ID.
>
> It wants HVD drives, no?

Yes, the IOS SCSI controller ("DC-6S") is an HVD device.

I managed to use an Adaptec 2944UW (HVD) to pull data off my J98 disks (I
have not gotten to powering the Cray up yet). For what it's worth, mine
used Seagate ST410800W disks (5.25" FH 10GB). I can't imagine what they
must've cost brand new in 1997.

  - JP