[rescue] SunBlade 1500 & SSD disk

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Fri Apr 27 18:54:55 CDT 2018

> I'm actually more interested in how you plan to get a functional SATA
> sub-system, be it SSD or spinning rust, functional on SPARC.

Depending on the OS, it may Just Work, at least if you don't mind not
booting off it.  NetBSD supports a lot of devices across many
architectures; if you've got a popular bus, a lot of devices will work
right out of the box.

I think NetBSD/sparc supports nothing but SBus (and VME on the -4/470
and its ilk), so you'd have to be on sparc64, but there, I would expect
most bog-standard PCI cards to work painlessly.

Provided, that is, that you're not trying to boot from them.  For that,
yes, you'll need FCode, whether built-in or add-on.  But in some cases
not being bootable isn't a showstopper; I have a few machines with a
small (<100M, generally) partition that holds booters and kernels and
nothing else.  In some of those cases that's all that's on that device.

I assume SBus-to-PCI bridges exist, though I've never personally seen
one, but I don't recall seeing software support for such a thing in
either NetBSD or my SunOS days.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org