[rescue] Top vs. Bottom posting

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Fri Apr 13 10:36:24 CDT 2018

I'm definitely siding with Lionel on this one.

Email is always ASCII.   Always (significantly) trim old post down to only what I am replying to.

I know what was said previously in the (email) thread.  If I forgot, I review the old post from my personal archive.

Its not 1991 anymore and we aren't on Usenet.  95% of the time I always top post.   I neither want, nor need to read the old
information.  It is already my responsibility to be on-top-of and know what is transpiring in the discussion.

The other odd 5%, when I have a lot to reply to, I will do an inline comments.

I (generally) have no intent of wanting to wade thru a bunch of old comment, and have to work my down thru a page or two of quoted
text to hunt for the average quick one or two line post/laziness on my part.

I have left/voluntarily unsubscribed from other list that have attempted to force the bottom post issue.

Apparently it (bottom posting) made some sense back on Usenet decades ago, but even then, I'm not sure I really understood the
desire for it.  The Internet seems to save just about everything forever, and personally, I've found my own post dated back to the
late 1980's and early 1990's.  I'm not sure how, but I am extremely thankful I never got dragged into any nasty flame wars.

Bottom posting may have had some purpose in the distant past, but I don't personally see any positives to it, and don't believe it
has been relevant for some time.  YMMV.

Jerry