[rescue] Sun V120 update

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Mon Jul 31 15:07:38 CDT 2017

Regarding the Sun vs Oracle thing, I'm certain that the different major Solaris
releases have different RTU (right to use) clauses built into the license
agreement, and, depending if your plans are for something aside from just
hobbyist type usage at home, if I were in your shoes, that would be what would
guide me.

But, FWIW, Sun is owned, and I consider them a division of Oracle, much like
your earlier comment about your copy of Lotus 1-2-3.  Once their own company,
now owned by IBM, but they still have their own identity.

Further food for thought, at $WORK, all the new systems that come in have Sun on
them, in addition to Oracle.  Unless they Say Fujitsu.  Fujitsu makes some great
SPARC equipment.

Back to software, here is the copyright from the /etc/inet/netmask file from an
Oracle Solaris 11.3 box in my home.  There are still plenty of Sun references,
aside from being SunOS 5.11 .

solaris11vm /etc/inet 42 # cat netmasks
#
# Copyright 2000 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
# Use is subject to license terms.
#
# ident	"%Z%%M%	%I%	%E% SMI"

And in closing, I will share that when I need to clear my terminal, I always use
the "tput clear" command.  Why?, might you ask.  Great question.  Have you ever
looked at the /usr/bin/clear command on Solaris?  It does the same thing
(generally) as "tput clear".

If this doesn't SCARE the **** out of you and send willies up your spine, I
don't know what will.

solaris11vm /etc/inet 43 # cat /usr/bin/clear
#!/usr/bin/sh
#
#	Copyright (c) 1984, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989 AT&T
#	  All Rights Reserved

#	Copyright (c) 1987, 1988 Microsoft Corporation
#	  All Rights Reserved

#ident	"%Z%%M%	%I%	%E% SMI"

Thats right.  The EVILEST of all computer companies, leaving a m$ copyright,
right in the middle of your /usr/bin directory.

Hopefully something here provides some context.

Enjoy your V120.

Jerry