[rescue] What version of Solaris for V120?

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Thu Jul 20 03:33:18 CDT 2017

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 01:53:28PM -0400, Earl Baugh wrote:
> Also think I might look at Illumos distros, but I really don't see a
> solid release there for SPARC,

I looked at various options when I bought my T1000 box.  (FreeBSD never
ran on the T1000 series, thus my look at other things.)  I could not
find a Solaris-derived OS for it, at least as a complete product.  (I
got nowhere with OpenSXCE; it merely panicked.)

I run FreeBSD 10 and 11 on V215s and V245s daily with no trouble -- in
fact, I use one or the other to build and publish (a subset of) packages.
These are much later machines than V120s, of course.  But the OS is quite
stable on them.

OTOH the FreeBSD developers are not really that invested in sparc64 anymore,
so caveat emptor.

I haven't tried NetBSD and OpenBSD but IIUC they do support sparc.

mcl