[rescue] What version of Solaris for V120?

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Mon Jul 17 14:22:49 CDT 2017

Hello Earl,

I have one of those, that I run 24x7 myself.

[hostname] /root 401 # prtdiag -v
System Configuration:  Oracle Corporation  sun4u Sun Fire V120 (UltraSPARC-IIe
648MHz)
System clock frequency: 100 MHz
Memory size: 4096 Megabytes

I certainly understand the need to keep things light weight.

I have X, and a lot of other things I don't use/need on this box disabled to
free up resources.

I'm specifically running Solaris 10u10b.  I'm a big ZFS fan, and although there
are plenty of stories out there about people running it on less, 4 Gb is at the
bottom end of what I consider practical/usable.

I also run (2) local Zones on this box.

I'm content to leave the V120 where it is at on Solaris 10u10b, but aside from
the faster/more CPU(s)/more memory/etc issue, most if not all of the "what
should I run on my SunBlade 2500" discussion is relevant to the v120.

If you do end up experimenting with OpenSolaris or Solaris 11 Express or one of
the Illumos SPARC based distro's, I would like to hear about your experiences.

Jerry