[rescue] Solaris Studio

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Mon Jul 17 11:55:03 CDT 2017

On 07/17/17 10:37, Mouse wrote:
>> And absolutely critically, I need to be able to compile Bacula
>> 64-bit.  ALL of the open-source packages are 32-bit.
>> [...]
>> Look, I don't care if a task runs 2%-3% slower.  But I *REALLY* care
>> if something as simple as a file copy craps out in the middle of a
>> 4GB file because it can't handle a file offset larger than 2GB.
>
> Well, I don't know Solaris,  But building for a 32-bit ISA is not
> necessarily incompatible with correct handling of >31bit (or even
>> 32bit) file sizes - NetBSD runs on lots of 32-bit-only machines with
> full support for files bigger than 4G, and has for over a decade.  This
> is not rocket science.

Yeah, I understand there is largefile support even in 32-bit.  I don't
know that all 32-bit tools that might encounter large files were
necessarily built with it by default, though I would dearly HOPE so.

But there are things that I definitely want to be 64-bit.  Mainly things
that will or may use a lot of memory.  My compiler for starters.  My
database engine.

And honestly, the truth is I find 64-bit compiles on Solaris using Sun
Studio a heck of a lot easier than 64-bit compiles on Solaris using gcc,
which often seems to lead to ...   just weird not-quite-right problems.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net