[rescue] Sources of IRIX?

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Feb 17 13:26:36 CST 2017

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017, Richard wrote:

>> It was a couple of hours, [...]
>
> Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm not trying to
> validate your experience, but it wasn't my experience.
>
> Please stop trying to tell me that what I experienced was wrong :).

You can both be right.

The big take-away I got from doing a _lot_ of CD-based IRIX installs is to
only install the bare minimum from the miniroot.  Overlay + foundation and
resolve conflicts.  If you do try to install the developer libraries,
compilers, applications, and site-specific stuff, inst can easily find
dozens on conflicts and ask for IRIX Foundation Disc 1 three or four
times.

So, yes, if you use miniroot inst naively, it can take an hour or two
before you're at the Indigo Magic login prompt.  If you follow best
practices, it's relatively low-pain.

--
Jonathan Patschke
Austin, TX