[rescue] Sources of IRIX?

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Mon Feb 13 11:45:47 CST 2017

In article <alpine.BSF.2.20.1702121354310.1841 at blueshift.celestrion.net>,
    Jonathan Patschke <jp at celestrion.net> writes:

> On Sat, 11 Feb 2017, Richard wrote:
>
> >> Take my word for it: you never, ever, ever want to install IRIX software
> >> from CD-ROM.  It is a horrifying orgy of disk-swapping.
> >
> > I've done it a bunch of times and it isn't as painful as you describe.
>
> But if you're going to do it more than once, I recommend setting up an
> IRIX install server.  Linux has support for reading EFS volumes (might
> need to be compiled as a module, since most OS vendors don't include it).

True, this is easier.  In my case, linux machines weren't available at
the time, so I just did the machines one by one.  We installed IRIX
6.5.22 on a bunch of octanes over a period of a couple hours one
evening.  I think I had 2 CD-ROM drives that would work at the time,
so there was a little bit of parallelism, but not much.

>From the way people on this list are talking about the experience,
you'd think it was multiple hours per machine.
            The Terminals Wiki <http://terminals-wiki.org>