[rescue] Sources of IRIX?

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Feb 12 14:00:18 CST 2017

On Sat, 11 Feb 2017, Richard wrote:

>> Take my word for it: you never, ever, ever want to install IRIX software
>> from CD-ROM.  It is a horrifying orgy of disk-swapping.
>
> I've done it a bunch of times and it isn't as painful as you describe.

But if you're going to do it more than once, I recommend setting up an
IRIX install server.  Linux has support for reading EFS volumes (might
need to be compiled as a module, since most OS vendors don't include it).

tftpd (for IRIX.${ARCH} and the miniroot), BOOTP, NFS v2, and you're good
to go.  Extract each CD into a separate NFS directory, and you can provide
them to inst one at a time for a smooth installation experience.  The IRIX
distribution is small enough that a fully populated install server can
live in a VM to be recalled and dismissed on command.

I wrote a HOWTO on it years ago and might be able to dig it up, if it's
not still on the 'net somewhere.

--
Jonathan Patschke
Austin, TX