[rescue] Installing Linux vs. Other *NIX's ( was re: Sources of IRIX? )

Derrik Walker v2.0 dwalker at doomd.net
Sat Feb 11 22:11:38 CST 2017

On 02/11/2017 09:51 PM, Richard wrote:

>>> I've done it a bunch of times and it isn't as painful as you describe.
>> Ever install Slackware off of Floppies?
> No.  I trust bear's opinion and it sounds at least an order of
> magnitude more annoying than what I did with my Octanes and blank SCSI
> drives when I put them in working order a few years ago.  Yes, you
> don't get everything from a single CD-ROM, but it wasn't some belly
> crawl over broken glass for 5,000 yards either.
>
> I'm not denying CD changes are needed, I'm simply saying it wasn't
> nearly as painful in my experience as Andrew Jones described it.

Installing IRIX, over  the network, on a 4D/25, or an O2 with CD's, is
several order of magnitude easier than Linux in the early days.

At least the GUI works with out spending 10 years mucking about with
xfree86.conf file, and the networking works without re-compiling the
kernel 1000 times to get the right network card parameters.

These kids today with their Ubuntu and Arch, or whatever the Linux
flavor of the month is don't know how easy they have it. Heck, even as a
Redhat admin, I have it way easier now than I did with Linux back in
1994!  I definitely appreciated the 'REAL' UNIX systems of the day back
then!

--
-- Derrik

Derrik Walker v2.0, RHCE
dwalker at doomd.net

"Those UNIX guys, they think weird!" -- John C. Dvorak

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pkcs7-signature which had a name of smime.p7s]