[rescue] Sources of IRIX?

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Fri Feb 10 19:35:32 CST 2017

On 02/09/2017 05:12 PM, Meelis Roos wrote:
> Does anyone know about SGI-s - can newer ones use any SCSI CD-ROM and do
> the sector size switch? If yes, which models need 2k sector CD-ROM and
> which models can take any?

The only thing you need the 512 byte support for is reading
EFS-formatted disks.  In other words, installing software.

Take my word for it: you never, ever, ever want to install IRIX software
from CD-ROM.  It is a horrifying orgy of disk-swapping.

If you happen across an EFS CD-ROM, stick it into a Linux PC, take an
image of it, then mount the EFS image with -o loopback.  Then copy the
data to an install server.