[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 171, Issue 7

Mike Spooner mike.spooner.ux at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 09:29:08 CST 2017

For reference, the SGI IDO *5.3* kit did not use (and thus does not
require) FlexLM licences.
The ability to obtain the CDROM from SGI and the ability to install it, was
considered sufficient back then.

It was the transition to Irix 6.x (and the rebranding of the compilers as
"MIPSpro") that introduced
FlexLM licencing for the Development Kits.

One thing to watch out for for the Indy, is that not all varieties of Indy
are supported by the earliest drops of 5.3.
There were specific later drops of 5.3 that added support for R5000,
2Mb-cache R4400, "newer" graphics options, and so on. See
http://www.sgistuff.net/software/irixhistory/ for details.

I also have SGI-original Irix 5.3 (11/94) CDROMs, ideal for my R3000
Indigo, and also for 100MHz R4000- and the 150MHz R4400-based
Indigo/Indy/Indigo2. If you have a 175MHz or faster Indy, you'll need a
later edition of 5.3 (or go with 6.2); if you have the rare 133MHz
R4600-based Indy, I believe you will need Irix 6.2 as a minimum.