[rescue] Looking for Prestoserve 2.3 for SunOS 4.x sun4c

Richard ejb at trick-1.net
Thu Aug 31 19:52:55 CDT 2017

Hi Dave

Thanks you again for putting that up. Have gone to install but it looks
like it is a sun4 version and not sun4c....

ss2-le0# ./presto_chango
		Prestoserve(TM) - sun4 Release 2.2
Copyright (c) 1990 by Legato Systems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Machine `ss2-le0' is type `sun4c', not `sun4' as expected.
ss2-le0#

Not to be deterred (some dusty memories coming back - I recall there was
trick to doing the original install back in the day) I modify the
arch=sun4 to sun4c at the top of presto_chango (there are also
#ifdef=sun4c in the presto_chango file so I was hopeful)

I get the following (which I suppose I really should have expected given
it had already told me it was for Sun4 (i.e. VME based sun4 not an Sbus
sun4c - was worth a try)

<....>
cp prestotool /usr/bin/prestotool
cp presto /usr/etc/presto
cp prestoctl_svc /usr/etc/prestoctl_svc
cp prestoctl.x /usr/include/rpcsvc/prestoctl.x
cp prestoctl.h /usr/include/rpcsvc/prestoctl.h
cp prestoioctl.h /usr/include/sundev/prestoioctl.h
cp presto_chango /usr/etc/presto_chango
Config and make a Presto-ized kernel [yes]? yes
System name in /sys/sun4c/conf to config [GENERIC]? SS2
cp /sys/sun4c/conf/SS2 /sys/sun4c/conf/SS2.prepresto
echo "device            ps0 at vme16d16 ? csr 0x4c00
device          pr0 at vme24d32 ? csr 0x800000" >> /sys/sun4c/conf/SS2
	* * * Config'ing /sys/sun4c/conf/SS2
(cd /sys/sun4c/conf; config SS2)
config: line 231: wrong machine type for vme16d16
config: line 231: no vme16d16's to wildcard
./presto_chango: 618 Memory fault - core dumped
presto_chango:  unexpected return code 139
ss2-le0#

I changed the vme reference to sbus in the kernel config but config told
me that "sun4c doesn't have mb_device structures."...I suppose I could
keep hacking away but I am picking there will be more issues and it may
not work as expected. Anyway config completed and so did the build of
the kernel..but not unexpectedly it errors on boot as not being able to
find the device pr0 (have checked and the /dev/pr0 exists) .

Anyone know the next step for this version or have a sun4c version of
prestoserve 2.3 or earlier ?

Regards

Richard