[rescue] [SunHELP] Sorry abou that outage

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Aug 30 15:27:03 CDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 02:55:02PM -0500, Doug McIntyre wrote:
>On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 03:00:10PM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:
>> just idle curiousity - dsl and/or ftth not available or too expensive?
>FWIW: Most "new style" telco stuff is rarely protected, and the boxes out
>in the field providing them will lose power and go dark for storm troubles.
>DSL mostly is deployed with field remote DSLAMS that depend on utility power
>and not CO power to keep running. There may be a few (< 20%) of DSL that
>backhauls right to the CO.

Amazingly, when Hurricane Ike came through in '08, even though a multi-block
area was without power, when I fired up the generator, my ADSL CPE synced
right up and I had Internet!  It was funny, sort of, to have Internet and sat
TV even though we didn't have AC or "normal" house power.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas USA