[rescue] Solaris 11 package conflicts

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Wed Aug 30 13:47:29 CDT 2017

Hello Phil,

Disclaimer - I don't know that I have a direct, "this will fix it" answer, and
in lieu of that, here are a few suggestions.  I'm sure that you have probably
come up with some (or possibly all), but minimally, its all food for thought.

*) uninstall 5.12 then install 5.22

Yep, I know that this is the stupid 'master of the obvious' reply, but trying to
be complete.

*) pkg man page entry discussing conflicting package installation

	Example 27 Switch Conflicting Package Installation

        In  the  case  of  two  conflicting  packages,  change which package is
        installed. Suppose package A depends on either package B or package  C,
        and  B  and C are mutually exclusive. If A and B are installed, use the
        following command to switch to using  C  instead  of  B  without  unin-
        stalling A:

          $ pkg install --reject B C

*) pkg mediator parameter.  On Solaris 11.3 boxes, it ships with both SunSSH and
OpenSSH.  Also, it ships with both the classic Sys V syslog and rsyslog.

I used the "pkg mediator"command to move back and forth from SunSSH to OpenSSH,
and also from Sys V syslog to rsyslog on Solaris 11.x boxes.

<https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E53394_01/pdf/E54793.pdf>

here is a reference Oracle document, page 25, that shows an example with the (2)
ssh applications.   May possibly be of use to you with your Perl issue.

*) open a trouble ticket with Oracle.  If this is a $WORK system.

*) and lastly, just leave the system perl alone.

The system installed perl, and python too (check out what that pkg command you
are running is), have some deep hooks into the operating system, and are
typically compiled with the Sun Studio compiler.  The Sun Studio compiler a fine
compiler, but not my favorite and I do not use it frequently.

On the perl side, one of the most visible thing uniquely supported by the system
perl is the 'kstat' facility, and there are others, but just in short, because
myself and end users do lots of perl thing, and need/use lots of perl modules
and customizations, I just leave the system perl alone.

All the in-house development stuff, and perl items + modules used and customized
is a home grown perl in /usr/local .  Perl is an easy compile on Solaris,
(although the 'make test' seems takes a while) and pushing out an in-house perl
has saved me a lot of grief thru the years, vs messing with the system perl.
You can also update/upgrade an in-house grown perl as frequently as you deem
necessary.

Hope that there is something in here that helps, or minimally provides some
'food for thought'.

Jerry