[rescue] Multipack Power Supply pin-out?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 17:56:54 CDT 2017

I wish someone would develop a backplane board with SATA port multipliers
installed to allow use of 10x SATA drives. I thought about trying to stuff a
couple port multipliers and SATA cables in the chassis,  but my 'round toit'
never arrived...

Here is a link to a port multiplier the type I was going to use:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332188299403

I have a few of these Sun chassis available, if anyone is interested - just
looking for postage.

Lionel

Ken

On Aug 23, 2017, at 3:34 PM, Mike Spooner <mike.spooner.ux at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> On 23/08/17 06:16 AM, Jonathan Katz wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I'm repurposing an old 1st gen Multipack as a case/setup for a cluster
>>> of Raspberry Pi systems. I'd like to reuse the Multipack's power
>>> supply to power the Pis & an ethernet switch I wish to mount inside.
>>> To do this I need the pinout of the power supply. Does anyone have
>>> this? Worst case I can break out a multimeter, but I figure someone
>>> may have this.
>>>
>>> This is the original Sun doc on the product, so there isn't much
>> confusion.
>>>
>>> https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/805-1667-10/805-1667-10.pdf
>>
>> According to section 7.1 of that document, the power supply part number
>> is 300-1330.  Pinouts for that can be found on-line in the Field
>> Engineers Handbook:
>>
>> http://www.shrubbery.net/~heas/sun-feh-2_1/Devices/DC_
>> Power/DCPOWER_FDK_1330_185W.html
>>

> Careful with the term "original" - the *original* Multipack is a 12-bay
> 12-disk Fast-Wide-SCSI unit
> (recognisable from the inside by the presence of 12 SCA connectors on the
> backplane),
> where as the Multipack-2 (ref the above-posted link to Sun doc) is a 6-bay
> 6-disk UltraSCSI unit.
>
> The confusion arises because they both use the same chassis and both have a
> pair of 68-pin SCSI connectors
> on the back. From the outside, they are often indistiguishable (some
> Multipack-2 cases had an "UltraSCSI" badge
> on the front, but many *didn't*). In fact, the Multipack-2 has all 12
> "spud-mounting-rails" internally, in spite of
> having only 6 SCA connectors on the backplane).
>
> There is a chance that both models use the same spec/pinout of PSU, but you
> should check the documents for
> the *original* 12-bay/12-disk Multipack to make sure. I suppose that even
> if the pinout voltages are the same, the
> load-rating on the separate rails may well be different.
>
> Take care out there!
>
> -- Mike Spooner

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_camp
aign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>