[rescue] Multipack Power Supply pin-out?

Mike Spooner mike.spooner.ux at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 15:34:30 CDT 2017

> On 23/08/17 06:16 AM, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I'm repurposing an old 1st gen Multipack as a case/setup for a cluster
> > of Raspberry Pi systems. I'd like to reuse the Multipack's power
> > supply to power the Pis & an ethernet switch I wish to mount inside.
> > To do this I need the pinout of the power supply. Does anyone have
> > this? Worst case I can break out a multimeter, but I figure someone
> > may have this.
> >
> > This is the original Sun doc on the product, so there isn't much
> confusion.
> >
> > https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/805-1667-10/805-1667-10.pdf
>
> According to section 7.1 of that document, the power supply part number
> is 300-1330.  Pinouts for that can be found on-line in the Field
> Engineers Handbook:
>
> http://www.shrubbery.net/~heas/sun-feh-2_1/Devices/DC_
> Power/DCPOWER_FDK_1330_185W.html

Careful with the term "original" - the *original* Multipack is a 12-bay
12-disk Fast-Wide-SCSI unit
(recognisable from the inside by the presence of 12 SCA connectors on the
backplane),
where as the Multipack-2 (ref the above-posted link to Sun doc) is a 6-bay
6-disk UltraSCSI unit.

The confusion arises because they both use the same chassis and both have a
pair of 68-pin SCSI connectors
on the back. From the outside, they are often indistiguishable (some
Multipack-2 cases had an "UltraSCSI" badge
on the front, but many *didn't*). In fact, the Multipack-2 has all 12
"spud-mounting-rails" internally, in spite of
having only 6 SCA connectors on the backplane).

There is a chance that both models use the same spec/pinout of PSU, but you
should check the documents for
the *original* 12-bay/12-disk Multipack to make sure. I suppose that even
if the pinout voltages are the same, the
load-rating on the separate rails may well be different.

Take care out there!

-- Mike Spooner

Virus-free.
www.avg.com