[rescue] Great deal on DDR3 ECC RAM, BUT...

Laurence Brevard brevard at 1or0.com
Sun Apr 9 13:29:57 CDT 2017

At 09:20 PM 4/2/2017, Bill Bradford wrote:

  4x4G (16G total) for $35 shipped Amazon Prime:

  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C7YSXBY

WARNING - this is 2Rx4 memory but it turned out I can only use 2Rx8.

My Dell T310 (bought used from Discount Electronics here in Austin about
two years ago) has two of:

hynix 4GB 2Rx8 PC3-10600R-9-10-B0

The newly purchased memory is:

hynix 4GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R-9-10-E1

So close! Except for that darned x4.

At such a low price I actually ordered two sets figuring I could populate
all 6 slots - either with the two original plus one set of 4 or using
half of the second set to fill it out.

Well... this memory won't work in ANY configuration on this board.

I proved that by just replacing the two original sticks with two of these
new ones.

And, it turns out 6 x 4GB wouldn't work anyway. In fact, there is 24 GB
configuration. To get more than 16 GB You have to go to 4 x 8GB which are
about $80 each. Ouch!

I'm asking the seller (A-Tech) if they have 2Rx8 RAM but I'll probably
just submit a return request.

I only opened one of the two packages (of 4 x 4GB each).

About the best price I found for the exact memory I already have is on
eBay for $35 + $7 shipping for sets of 2 x 4 GB.

I'll just buy one set of that.

But I will wait to hear back from A-Tech first!

Laurence