[rescue] Static IP! Now what?

John Hudak jjhudak at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 08:20:05 CDT 2017

> What else is a static IP good for?
Many ppl have already responded with good points.  I just want to point out
a subtly of the overloaded term 'static IP address'...
Static means that the IP address of the device itself does not change.  The
subtly is where it gets the assignment from.
In the 'bad old days'  device IP addresses were manually assigned and
configured on the client device. The evolution of routers provided a
capability called 'reservation tables' in which the user specified in the
router configuration:  the MAC and the associated desired LAN IP address.
This arrangement provided the outward appearance of a static IP address but
it was managed by DHCP.  Depending on your computing environment, this
arrangement offers many of the advantages of manually assigned/managed
static IP addresses.  There are some drawbacks, some of which are the
router becomes a single point of failure, increased 'boot time' of a large
network and access to the router to see the assignments.
The two types of IP address management approached can coexist on a network
but configuration and operation of the network can become a little
complicated...that's a topic of another much longer discussion.