[rescue] Static IP! Now what?

John Hudak jjhudak at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 19:52:00 CDT 2017

In summary, there are two problems: lossy audio compression ( a
characteristics of the codecs), and the timing relationships of the
signals, aka jitter.
The codecs remove some of the audio content of the signal during the
compression (for the theoretical treatment of signal integrity and
information content, look up papers by Claude Shannon), and the jitter
comes about from the fact that packet stream arrival is irregular..
Yes, T.38 is the more popular ITU standard and if you are interested, two
open source packages that implement T.38 are AvantFAX and Asterisk the open
source PBX which uses the SpanDSP library to implement faxing. It has
modules to handle T.38.
A (IMO) good FAX program is Hylafax and its spinoff Hylafax+.  If you go
this route, keep in mind that Hylafax and a number of other FAX programs do
not work well with soft modems....but thats another story.....