[rescue] Static IP! Now what?

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Wed Apr 5 18:08:10 CDT 2017

> I have a /29 from Zen in the UK.  I just use it for conveniently
> SSHing in from anywhere.  Once you start using it, you'll begin to
> love it, and the idea of a single dynamic IP address will make you
> sad.

It certainly does me.  But then, I've had statically assigned globally
routed IPs at home ever since I first got net access at home.

> In the words of Adrian Kennard, "NAT is evil."

NAT != dynamic IPs
NAT != single IPs
NAT != even single dynamic IPs

Nothing says you have to run NAT if you have a single dynamic IP.
(Nothing says you can't NAT with multiple static IPs, either, not that
that's relevant here.)

I agree NAT is generally evil.  It is (very) occasionally good.
Slightly more commonly, it is a tolerable evil.

Removing a major excuse for NAT is one of the things I like most about
IPv6.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org