[rescue] Static IP! Now what?

Scott Newell newell+rescue at n5tnl.com
Wed Apr 5 12:39:13 CDT 2017

At 10:45 AM 4/5/2017, Mouse wrote:
> > What else is a static IP good for?
>
>Basically, anything a dynamic IP is good for, plus assorted things
>where you want to be reachable at a fixed IP.  Mostly, in practice,
>this means you can run your own just-about-anything: DNS, mail, web,

I've not had trouble running servers (web, ssh, modbus/TCP,
EtherNet/IP) on the dynamic IP + dynamic DNS, so I'm sure we'll be
ok. I do like the idea of (another) backup  DNS server.

>If you're stuck with only one IP, there are additional headaches, but
>you said you'd have a /29, so those shouldn't be issues.  Depending on

Multiple IPs would make running multiple webservers (such as for
customer demos) cleaner, so that's something I'll have to dig into.

> > [...], and I'm curious about how well VOIP will work for our fax
> > line.
>
>Based on my tests, either really well (if it gets converted to T.38
>before getting to you) or really crappy (if it is still trying to use

I see mention of T.38 options in the Adtran docs, but not in the
config chunks I have on hand.

>...that's assuming your VOI is SIP.  If not, I'm not really competent
>to comment, except that similar remarks _probably_ apply.

I have seen part of the Adtran's config, and SIP is listed a few times.

thanks!
--
newell  N5TNL