[rescue] IPX available?

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Wed Jun 22 08:20:02 CDT 2016

Hi Romain

> On 22 Jun 2016, at 10:50, Romain Dolbeau <romain at dolbeau.org> wrote:

>> BTW I had thought the old M48T02 NVRAM chips were no longer available,
> but a
>> quick search shows loads available from reputable suppliers now, did they
>> start remanufacturing them?
>
> IIRC, the current batches are closer to specs and prevent Suns from writing
> to some read-only addresses. That was mentioned years (decade(s) by now?)
> ago on the ML, again IIRC.
There was a B version which I purchased many a years ago when struggling to
buy the original ones which work, but for some reason one version of the SS2
OBP startup had an issue with them, but not in IPX etc.

> This: <

http://www.mouser.fr/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=DS1642-85%2bvirtualkey668800
00virtualkey700-DS1642-85%2b>
> is a clone mentioned in the NVRam FAQ, and it definitely works in my IPX if
> that's what you're looking for (details here: <
> http://www.sunhelp.org/pipermail/rescue/2015-September/137195.html>).

I have used the larger Dallas chips on later systems with success, not tried
this one. I tend to find the Dallas parts are significantly more expensive
than the ST parts.