[rescue] SunCD Repair

r.stricklin bear at typewritten.org
Wed Jun 1 22:45:26 CDT 2016

On May 28, 2016, at 8:27 PM, Eddie Cottongim wrote:

> Are there any service manuals, repair ideas etc available for the Sony
CDU-8012? I've got one that responds to probe-scsi, but "test cdrom" gives
back a "-1" failure (not much help), and is dead otherwise. It spins the CD
briefly, then stops. No obvious internal problems after partial disassembly.

The "obvious problem" with all these drives is failed electrolytics. One of
the ones that's come across my bench also had a dusty optical path. Chances
are good your drive is eminently repairable.

ok
bear.

--
until further notice