[rescue] IBM PC RT

Bill Braskey jazzop89 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 22:56:27 CDT 2016

I have what appears to be a complete IBM PC RT (Model 6150)
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_6150_RT>, minus an OS and monitor.  It
even has the external SCSI tape drive & 5.25" floppy drive.  I rescued it
several years ago in a random check of Craigslist while on a 1500-mile
driving trip, near the bizarre town of Centralia, PA
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania>.  It has been in
storage since I got it.

Apparently this thing was designed for AIX 2, but I wonder if a later
version of AIX will run on it.  The guy who gave it to me said it ran Pick
OS when he used it, but he lost the media.  I did get all the glorious old
IBM 3-ring manuals in the slipcases, though!

Anyone here have any experience with this rare dinosaur?

I should probably do some cleaning of the system boards before applying
electrons.  Any best practices (short of dunking in hydrofluoric acid) for
cleaning up the PCBs?