[rescue] Raster flex SBus card anyone?

Steven M Jones smj+rescue at crash.com
Mon Jul 4 23:52:33 CDT 2016

>> Mmmm, guess: a RasterOps PC display card ? The 15 pins looks like a Mac
>> connector (DA-15 ?), but the 9 pins could be the older style VGA connector
>> (DE-9).
>
> If not, then they're related.  That sure is familiar looking!

It should be familiar looking - Sun mono displays used a DB9/DE9
connector in the (late) Sun-2 / Sun-3 / Sun-4 era. Check the far right
of this image of Sun-3/60s:

     http://classiccmp.org/dunfield/sun/h/s360b.jpg

On the PC side, you generally get mono or CGA from a DB9/DE9; I don't
recall seeing VGA out of anything but an HD15, in terms of D-shells. Of
course, there's a lot I haven't seen...

SGI was shipping lots of framebuffers that used the DB9/DE9 for control
of LCD shutter glasses for 3D display in this period. Other connectors
were used for sure, but...

Serial lines of various flavors were used to control studio-grade video
editing equipment. Not sure how likely it is, but something to keep in
mind as the OP looks into what this RasterOps board is actually
connected to at the client site.

--S.