[rescue] Vendor software support [was Re: RPi vs SS20 benchmarks (interesting)]

Barry Keeney barryk at chaoscon.com
Mon Jan 4 16:06:43 CST 2016

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On 01/04/2016 05:23 AM, Stefan Skoglund (lokal anvdndare) wrote:
>>>   In my experience, "in the old days" (this may have improved later on)
>>> when SPARCstation-10s were current, Sun employees were the people who
>>> knew the least about Sun hardware.  In one particular instance, I was
>>> told that what I was proposing categorically COULD NOT WORK.  No way, no
>>> how.  Trouble is, on that phone call, I was leaning up against a rack in
>>> which I had built up the suggested configuration; it was running in
>>> production.
>>
>> And what was it which you had done ?
>>
>> Not that old trick with a VME-chass and a lot of 4/490 processor cards ?
>
>  Hahaa, no, WAY before that.  (That was 4/600s).  But it was similar; I
> filled VME chassis with 3/50 and 3/60 boards.

   I used to do the same thing, with 3/50 boards in a 3/xxx VME-chassis
so me and my friends could play Netrek at my house. (Used to play at work
on friday nights but the boss started wanting me to do real work off the
clock while playing)

Barry Keeney
Chaos Consulting
email barryk at chaoscon.com

"Atheist: A person who doesn't need imaginary friends"

"Rap is Square Dancing gone terribly, terribly Wrong...."

"MicroSoft Windows - Running our defences until they all bluescreen during the Cylon attack..."