[rescue] newest rescue

Mike Spooner mike.spooner.ux at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 13:44:05 CST 2016

Perhaps the 68000 *ISA* was inspired by the PDP-11, but the memory-mapped
I/O and bus control-signalling were inspired directly by the 1970s Motorola
8-bit 6800 family.

Many of the Motorola 68000 peripheral chips (68230 parallel i/f, 68681
DUART, 68901 multi-function i/f and interrupt controller, 6859 DES security
device, etc etc) could be *directly* used with existing 6800/6809/6811/etc
CPUs, and to an extent (speed permitting) vice-versa - almost all the
6800-series peripheral chips (6847 video display generator, 68488 GPIB i/f,
etc, etc) could be *directly* used with the 68000, as long as the bus speed
was low enough; the 1970s-designed 6800 peripheral chips were usually rated
for maximum bus-clock of either 1MHz, 1,5MHz (NMOS) or 2MHz (HCMOS).

Motorola's own EVB and EVM evaluation boards for the 8-bit 68HC11 came with
a (68000-series) DUART controller on-board.

It was no accident that the bus-control interface of the 6800 series and
68000 were identical.

Back on the ISA, the 68000 sure was pretty orthogonal and easy to progam
for; the separate address-registers and data-registers was a bit of a
cop-out, but at least memory-addressing-modes could be freely used with
either (except for some bit-addressing modes).

On the other hand, it was not as orthogonal as the roughly contemporary
32-bit NatSemi 16032 (later renamed 32016!), where any operand could be any
register, any memory-addressing-mode, or any size of immediate - a truly
insane dedication to utter orthogonality, and damn the cost.

-- Mike Spooner
http://mbus.sunhelp.org