[rescue] sparc10 cpu - what to do.

Patrick Giagnocavo xemacs5 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 13:03:52 CST 2016

I don't know if i860 was overall profitable for Intel or not; that
would be my measure of success for the program.

When they got the StrongARM/Xscale deal from Digital they seemed to
have replaced the i860 with the ARM based chips.

re VLIW: if it takes 3 years for the compilers to work well, then, any
competitor doing VLIW has to slowly ramp up with early adopter crumbs
while spending and spending to tune and improve their compiler tools.
Which then gives Intel the ability to add another feature or crank out
another chip, causing competition to be in perpetual catch-up mode.