[rescue] 2 off Sun Sparcstation 2 wanted

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Dec 14 23:14:30 CST 2016

On 12/15/2016 12:09 AM, Doug McIntyre wrote:
>> Disk caddies - I no longer remember what the SS2 needs for a disk
>> caddy.  I'll have to open one up and see.  I may or may not be able to
>> lay hands on disk caddies easily.
>
> The SS2 didn't come with any optical drive capability. Many SS2's
> were installed off of QIC tape.
>
> The first CD-ROM drives were SCSI (ie. could be used by the SS2 with
> its' SCSI port), and had disk caddy's for the CD-ROMs (if you actually
> had the SunOS 4.1.4 boot CDROM).
>
> Like this one
>
> http://www.recycledgoods.com/toshiba-xm-3401b-4x-cd-rom-drive-with-caddy.html

  The CD-ROM drives that were sold with that generation of SPARCstations
were Sony CDU-8012s, FYI.

  But I think Mouse was talking about the carriers for hard drives
inside the SS2 chassis, those little white plastic frames with the bale
handle in the back by where the drive's connectors are.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA