[rescue] beige Sun Blade 2500

Nemo cym224 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 11:02:04 CDT 2016

On 26 August 2016 at 18:57, Andrew Jones <andrew at jones.ec> wrote:
> On 08/26/2016 09:58 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>
>> That's an awfully beefy print server, did it do any 'render engine' type
>> work?
>
> I have seen a Solaris x86 box packaged with a multi-million dollar Xerox
> system.  It acted as the print spooler / queue manager for the system.
>
> I  don't know if they actually needed that much power, or if the couple of
> grand for a beefy x86 system was just rounding error on the overall price of
> the system.
>
> I assume these beige SPARC boxes came from the previous generation of Xeroix
> printers.

Did this ever rake over some old neural connections!  I recall
Fuji-Xerox printers using Solaris 8 (and actually found something
still online: http://www.fujixerox.co.jp/eng/company/headline/2001/1221_dp500dps.html)
and I recall seeing Ultra10 OEMed to Xerox but never SB2500s.

Off topic, I recall seeing Xerox-branded G4s on Ebay but no clue about
what they were running.

N.