[rescue] A good couple of days

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sat Aug 13 02:49:57 CDT 2016

Am 11.08.16 um 18:54 schrieb Steven M Jones:
> I suppose it's all swappable since we're talking about MVME boards under
> the covers, but I thought the first-gen stackable PowerStack systems
> were 88k-based, and the later towers were PowerPC.
AFAIK there are three varieties of "PowerStack":
1. VME bus based, stackable desktop boxes.
2. PCI/ISA PReP based, stackable desktop boxes.
3. PCI/ISA PReP based mini towers, labeled "PowerStack II"

I don't know much about the VME boxes.

I own specimen of the later two. Being PReP, they are just PeeCees with
a PowerPC processor shoehorned in and broken OpenFirmWare. Nothing
exiting. The mini tower enclosure is a piece of cheap, flimsy crap. A
Sun U10 is well build and solid compared to this box. The PCI/ISA
desktop box is weird and awkward. IIRC it is full of razor blade sharp,
thin sheet metal screens with a flimsy plastic cover. Nothing particular
pleasant to work with.

A friend, who had a PowerStack II, got his hands on AIX 4.x install CDs.
But IIRC he was unable to install AIX as some mysterious floppy disks
where needed during the install process. Or the like. This was well over
10 years ago...

I would be glad to get rid of these junk boxes.
Free for local pickup in Kaiserslautern, Germany.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen