[rescue] Cable testers

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Sat Apr 23 12:39:00 CDT 2016

On 04/22/16 20:07, Mouse wrote:
>> Yeah, I'm not looking for certification, I just want to be able to
>> test that the cable's wired correctly with no short, opens, or split
>> pairs.
>
> You say that so casually.  Shorts and opens are easy to test for; split
> pairs are...less so.
>
> I'm curious: does happen to anyone know what property testers capable
> of detecting split pairs are actually testing for?

In the simplest terms, a conductor goes to the wrong pin.  A common
example I've seen made by the unaware or inattentive:  Solid-green and
solid-blue, or green/white and blue/white, accidentally swapped.
(Especially on some cables where you need to have the color vision of
Vincent van Gogh to tell green/white and blue/white apart.)

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net