[rescue] Anyone have a drive to read QIC150 tape?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Apr 22 11:25:00 CDT 2016

On 04/22/2016 12:19 PM, Peter Stokes wrote:
> I am trying to help a guy who has a couple of old QIC 150 tapes with his old
> software on in tar format from a Sun system. Anyone have a working drive which
> can read the 150 tapes who can read them and either create a CD or put up on a
> server to allow download?

  I can do this.  Contact me off-list.  It'll be a lot easier for me if
it's after the LSSM even on the 30th.

  Note well that the drive belts inside most QIC tapes are starting to
go.  If that happens, the only way to recover the data is to replace the
belt with one harvested from a sacrificial cartridge.  I've done that
before, but as with any such operation, there are risks.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA