[rescue] IBM cosmograph

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Apr 21 18:30:42 CDT 2016

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016, Francois Dion wrote:

> Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 18:11:56 -0400
> From: Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com>
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] IBM cosmograph
>
> I have Brinton's book from 1939 (and a repro of his 1914 book) in my hand,
> it's a classic in information visualization. I'm curious though, how would
> you make one?

To prototype one, I'd start with a black background and five hundred
sheets' worth of margins from greenbar paper (burst at the page breaks).
Bunch all the margins sideways and fix them to the center of the
background.  Now you have 0.1% resolution at the ends.

A production run would probably benefit from higher-quality paper.

--
Jonathan Patschke
Austin, TX