[rescue] Sun-Stuff searching for new home around germany

Marc Gutschner Marc.Gutschner at GMX.DE
Sat Apr 2 15:37:57 CDT 2016

On 02.04.2016 18:59, John Hudak wrote:
> nice machine(s)!!!  Only 500?  Kg I bet!

Of course it's Kilograms - the naked rack weighs in at ~150kg, although
I can't easily tell whether that is with or without side-panels & doors.
>From the specs, about a third of the weight of a reasonably loaded
machine is contributed by it. The power supplies will likely also not be
exactly featherweights - and there are SIX of them in a 6800. And
skimming through the service manual, it should be possible to strip the
machine down quite nicely

     - removable I/O cages
     - 6 CPU boards @a~10 kg each.
     - removable fan trays
     - 6 power supplies
     - RTU/RTS

There is just a single flight of stairs (8 or 10 steps) that needs to be
crossed - and due to the rack's depth, it has to go there on it's back.
But with proper padding and a couple of wooden beams, it should be
possible to give it a rather gentle "ride". Although the height of the
rack might be an issue - don't know for sure if the max headroom is
sufficient to raise it. Will have to check that next week when I'm
there... And hey, if that kid managed to get an IBM z890 mainframe into
his parents basement... :-)

Of course, since I sadly won't be able to keep a machine that size, I'd
be happy if there were other takers that may even be able to run it more
than just a few days each year.

Regards,
Marc