[rescue] What is this traffic?

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 19:38:28 CDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 2:25 PM,  <microcode at zoho.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 02:16:45PM -0400, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>
>>       I was going to suggest to use a reasonably modern machine with
>> some kind of windows connected directly to the router and run

      Just to make sure I did not imply windows as in microsoft, but
any kind of linux/osx/microsoft gui thingie.

>> wireshark since it gives a nice graphical view of the amount of junk
>> flying on the wire.
>
> That I could do. But I would not know how to interpret the wireshark output.

      The first thing in wireshark is that you would know where a
packet is coming from and where (ip) it wants to go to. If your
machine (nobody else behind it)  has no browser or any other crap
running, you should see most basic stuff like router and your computer
asking for IPs ("who has ip 1.2.3.4? Tell 1.2.3.1"), dhcp stuff and so
on. Once you can see that, you can then add more like running ping and
see how it is seen in wireshark.

Not claiming it is easy, but it can tell a lot.

As others mentioned here, making sure all devices are locked in full
duplex instead of auto (if they can only do 100baseTX instead of
gigabit) makes a lot of difference.

Other thing I find concerning is your ISP. I take you have to go
through them to get out even though you have a different company for
the connection, right?

>> And then put the laptop between switch and router and probulate the
>>  traffic.
>
> I am not sure how to do that. But I'll check Lionel's suggestions first.

      Go for it. My main point is to see if you can narrow down the
source of the issue, or at least figure out what it follows.