[rescue] What is this traffic?

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Thu Oct 29 11:06:50 CDT 2015

> but if you unplug the switch and plug a computer directly into the
> router you could have one of two outcomes:
> 1. the computer gets buried with this spurious 'traffic' from the
>    router, and the switch is not the problem.

Ok, just tried that.

Nothing happening here. Nothing on the logs, nothing on iptraf or netwatch.

> 2. the computer internet connection flies at your full 15Mb/s with no
>    hitches, suggesting the switch is the cause.

Speedtest.net can't even load now (I don't think it's related though) but a
speed test from UK (2 UTC zones away) shows .1M down and .78 up (the upload
is always this rate, I don't know what I'm supposed to be getting).

I had tested several times with the carrier and I get the full 15Mbps to
them. It's clearly the ISP but since the carrier won't get involved it
doesn't help, even when I send them screenshots.

It doesn't seem like the switch has any influence on performance and I can
get 12.5M between boxes which I believe equals the 100M/b switch rating.

Thanks for helping me rule the switch out of the performance equation
although it doesn't (?) explain why the switch port from the router shows
crazy traffic.