[rescue] Sun E280R thermal shutdown

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Sat Oct 24 15:36:51 CDT 2015

> * Is 59 a sensible temperature for thermal shutdown or is it something
> that linux kenvctrld invents itself?

I read the source plus prtconfs git repo - envctrl driver gets warning
temperature and shutdown temperature from PROM.

First, OBP PROM can have variables "warning-temp" and "shutdown-temp",
and some platforms like Netra cp1500, T1-105, T1-200, X1 and Fire V100
have these variables present. My E280R does not.

warning-temp and shutdown-temp combinations 70/75, 67/62 are examples
from the field.

Additionally, i2c prom device node has "shutdown-temp:  00000048" and
"warning-temp:  00000043" properties on some machines. These are the
properties envctrl driver is also using to set its internal limits and
these are 67/72 in decimal.

These sourcec could be the source picld/prtpicl would use...

However, my E280R does not have these properties either, there are
different i2c sensors with no such properites (i2c-max1617). Nothing
interesting at all in prtconf -pv. So it would be interesting to
reinstall Solaris and try prtpicl. Maybe it just derives this
information from FRU numbers... worth investigating.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)