[rescue] Vector Plotters

Romain Dolbeau romain at dolbeau.org
Mon Oct 5 14:07:50 CDT 2015

>    Vector CRTs, however do exist and typically, but not always,
> make use of storage-tubes for the display.  These are capable of
> producing perfectly true curves, but are long obsolete.

Not always, since the one consumer-oriented product, the Vectrex,
didn't. I still own mine, and it's an awesome machine :-)

Computer-wise, the Tektronix 4010 & 4050 families were indeed storage
tube. How many people remember xterm includes 4014 emulation?
How many people still use xterm rather than an alternative, for that
matter :-)

Darn, now I feel old :-(

> This is obviously some strange new meaning of "obsolete" I've not run
> into before - or are you aware of some other display technology that is
> capable of such results?

Computer-wise, they are obsolete. Are vector display still in use
for anything other than oscilloscopes? (if that ?)

Cordially,

--
Romain Dolbeau