[rescue] 68-pin SCSI drives needed

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Nov 25 12:13:48 CST 2015

On 11/25/2015 11:44 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> A 300 GB 68 pin SCSI drive? I've not seen any that size in a long time, and if
> found on the surplus market would likely be ancient pulls from DAS/NAS and I'd
> have doubts about their remaining life... Of course, it's not unheard of for
> ancient 'cold spares' to pop-up for sale, drives that were never even plugged
> in but kept on-hand in case they were needed.
>
> Good luck in your quest, I too wonder if an adapter for more modern drives
> might be better?

  Most of them are garbage.  I have several 9GB drives running, a decade
older than the 300GB drives I'm looking for, and they've outlasted
countless "modern" drives.

  Everything except the WD Red drives in my "important" machines, that is.

> A SATA <-> 68 pin SCSI adapter would be great, but I'm
> certain they don't exist... Oh, wait:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/ACARD-ARS-2160-Ultra-Bridge-Drive/dp/B001EHBSHM
>
> http://www.pc-pitstop.com/scsi_ide_adapters/aec7730a.asp
>
> They just aren't affordable... But, if you want to add gobs of of storage then
> two mirrored adapters and 2 TB SATA drives could be a viable option...

  Well, this is for a mirrored application, and I only need (and will
only ever need) about 150GB on this system, so that'd be kinda pointless.

  And the bridge boards wont fit in the drive carriers I have to use.
Unless I take Alex's suggestion of using 2.5" drives, which I will
explore. (thanks Alex!)

  Which brings me back to my original question, which was actually
pretty well reasoned-out. ;)  I guess I'll start saving my pennies.

               -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA