[rescue] SS10 Accessories

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Sun Nov 22 04:31:46 CST 2015

Hi

I think the big change and hence support was move to 64bit with the Ultras and
why it was dropped, so anything without 32 bit support will not stand a chance
of working.

Peter

> On 22 Nov 2015, at 03:06, Eddie Cottongim <jcotton at intergate.net> wrote:
>
> Thanks for all the input. I was, after many attempts, finally able to
net-boot my SS10 tonight.

> Mostly this setup will just be for experimentation. I do want to try some
optimization tricks on it and see what kind of performance I can get. Also,
reading about GX/TGX framebuffers, they seem to have some mysterious 3D
capability that was never documented and rarely used (even by Sun). I'd like
to play around with that.

> Out of curiosity, when Linux/Solaris etc dropped support for sun4m/sun4c, is
it because there was something inconvenient about the architecture that they
wanted to get rid of, or is it a case of not having time/equipment to test it,
so they dropped support, but it might still work?

> A few notes on hardware:
> I happen to have an Iiyama 19" CRT which can do odd video resolutions, but
more importantly it has BNC inputs which I hope will provide nice quality
video.
> I think having a real CD drive around is very useful (the net-boot worked,
but it took days to figure it out). It looks like SCSI CD/DVD ROMs are
available on ebay, so I may go for one of those once I find an enclosure.